If you love calamari you’ll love my mom’s Calamari Fritters recipe – a really delicious and different way to serve them up.
Calamari FrittersPrint This
- 4 medium calamari, cleaned
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed salami
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- ½ cup (125 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1 large egg
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, QB
- Freshly ground black pepper, QB
- Semolina flour, QB
Roughly chop the squid and put them in a bowl. Add the salami, bread crumbs, Parmigiano, ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil, wine, egg and parsley and mix that all together. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix again. With your hands, shape golf ball–size chunks into patties.
In a separate dish, dredge the fritters in the semolina flour.
Heat up the remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) of olive oil in a frying pan over high heat, and when the oil is hot fry the fritters on both sides until golden. If you need more oil, add a little more as needed. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil and serve.